This is a short week, thank goodness. The Fourth of July is on Friday this year, so we have a lovely long weekend ahead. No concrete plans–maybe a trip to The Old Orchard House in PA?–at this point, just relaxing and having fun.
I survived last week, too. It was easier than I thought, but it was different than what I expected, to be fair. I thought some things would be harder, and discounted other things. Of course, it was all flipped from that.
The big thing I couldn’t talk about last week went off without a hitch. My bff Hala had a birthday on Tuesday, so we–her boyfriend and I–threw her an intimate but very fun birthday party at a local bar. She was in on the party itself (ie, she knew we were doing something, and when it would be, and who would be invited, but nothing more), but I still didn’t want to spill any frijoles here.
Our 25 hour trip to RI was great, too. Fast, but great. We liked the train, but preferred the daytime train. The overnight train left us with cramped muscles, sore necks, and with too little sleep. The day train left us rejuvenated, relaxed, and maybe even a bit energized! As soon as we got back yesterday, we dropped our stuff at home and then hopped the Metro to the zoo. We got ice cream, walked the zoo (I named all the animals who did not have posted names…and renamed a few who did), and then walked to the next Metro stop to get home. We picked up the pups at the sitter around dinner time, and were greeted by very excited and tired gals. They had a great time, and I can’t wait to send them back to the sitter!
Given the whirlwind that was last week, and the short week coming up, my to do list should be simple and the pressure should be off. Here goes:
- Sort through closets and pull anything I haven’t worn in one year. This is getting embarrassing. I will do this tomorrow, dammit.
- Walk home from work on Tuesday, despite the heat. I STILL DIDN’T DO THIS! This week, I swear (I swore last week, too).
- Hit the pool at least 3 times during the work week. Zero times. This week, I can make up for that, fer sher.
- Put all my clothes, accessories, jewelry, etc. away as soon as I take it off. Ok, so I still have to work on this. I was so good for like 3 days, then it got cray cray and there are piles of outfits all over the place. I can fix this with a 5 minute correction, and then be good going forward. Will do.
- Stop interjecting long, drawn out UMMMMMMMs into my speech. I think I did this, but let’s leave it on just to be sure…
Pick a book for our train ride.I did NOT do this, and I’m nixing it now because it’s irrelevant at this point. As I mentioned, the night train was no place for reading (drinking and passing out, perhaps, but not reading), and the day train was too much fun to watch out the window and listen to music (and sleep comfortably, somehow. The irony.) But I should probably still pick a book to just, like, you know, read.
- Cook something new, and from an actual recipe (slight adaptations permitted, of course), at least once this week. I didn’t do this, but I will this week. I already made up a dish last night, but that wasn’t the challenge: it was to do it from a recipe. Tonight, bff Hala is making us dinner (mmm!), so tomorrow?
- Dress in reds, whites, and blues to the extent possible. Dude, I love dressing in a theme. Check out my posts tagged with OOTD if you don’t believe me. Today, it’s navy skinny trousers, a royal blue silky belted tunic with gold buttons, gold snakeskin skimmers, and red red red lipstick.
- Make lunch every day this week. This is a health and money goal. Today, I packed last night’s made up soup, a fresher than fresh peach, and a sparkling water, and I supplemented it with a veggie-packed grilled cheese from the cafeteria. Steve had leftover sangwidges from yesterday, a peach, and some Gatorade.
- Wear makeup everyday this week. I was one haggard looking mess this morning, and without makeup looked like I belonged on the bad end of a Wife Swap deal. A 2 minute visit with my makeup, I looked like an alive professional woman. Boom. Easy. Added bonus: my new makeup is pretty humidity-resistant, so I won’t look like Gak later today.
- Re-pillow the living room. I know, super important, you guise. But our throw pillows are looking sad, and they were cheap, so I either need to supplement them with something new so I am not bored, or I need to replace them wholesale.
Looking forward to that Friday freedom…what are your plans for the long weekend?