How is it already the end of January? My flabbergasted reaction to the passage of time really has to end, but come on.
Last week was super short, and significantly less productive than I had hoped. I came home from work a little early on Wednesday with the beginnings of a migraine, which I was able to sleep off until dinner time. Well, dinner time came, and I was still feeling miserable, and then my stomach started to ache and my back was on fire…so I moaned on the couch while Steve ate his dinner and wondered what type of music I would want at my surely-inevitable funeral (kidding, I think, but I was hurtin’). I did not sleep one single wink all night, as my back and stomach were warring. I stayed home from work on Thursday and slept on heating pads and drank water and chicken/miso broth, until I finally felt a modicum better on Friday morning. I went to work, but hid in my office and did a lot of catch up work. Useless week, I swear.
This weekend, I tried to make up for it and be more productive, which I mostly was. I had a work commitment on Saturday for a few hours, but after that, Steve and I hit Rodman*s and Paul’s and stocked up on the essentials: 5 kinds of beer, 13 bottles of wine, all the liquor, and sriracha sauce. We came home, Steve took the monkeys for a walk, and I put everything away. Then I got my second wind and tore through the rest of my closet, making piles and being a ruthless decluttering machine. I made a delicious dinner, we drank some beer and watched some TV, and that was that. Sunday, Steve had some obligations for the fire department, so while he was gone, I hit my clothing piles again, sorting by brand and weeding out the things that were not savable. I’m going to send a whole bunch of the better stuff–many new with tags or new in box shoes–to ThredUp and Twice, and the rest is getting donated. I’ll update you on what I send and how that goes.
Dinner was a disgusting disaster. I tried to use up some things, but that simply did not work out. Steve was kind, and sincere, when he said “this is a rare miss,” of course only after I was so disgusted that I stopped mid-bite, said “this is terrible,” and proceeded to order out on GrubHub.
That all brings us to a snowy, windy Monday. A fresh, clean, cold start to the last week in January.
- Renew our passports. Just have to mail everything! This week!!!
Cull even more household goods. More piles made this weekend, as mentioned above. I’ll drop it all off this weekend when we head out to the ‘burbs for a housewarming party.
Assess closet…again. I detailed this above, but I made some awesome progress here. Once my ThredUp and Twice bags arrive, I’ll send that stuff off (and I’ll share here!). I have identified a few things that need an impartial outside vote–Hala!–mainly two gray suits that are competing for space in my closet. One is charcoal, three pieces (pants, skirt, jacket), and a bit more modern, but the jacket is a one-button deal (I have a huge chest, this does not work) and it’s a relatively cheap suit. The other is a gray pinstripe in a nicer quality material/construction–jacket and skirt only–and the jacket is three button (hallelujah!) and it closes (a minor miracle for the large-of-chest among us). My perceived problem/drawback is that the suit is relatively conservative/square (not boxy, necessarily), but maybe that’s not a drawback?
Make a visible list of what we need/want for the apartment. Ok, I found and ordered new living room pillows, and I’m putting the dining room chairs on the back burner. So, this is basically done.
- Plan and execute a mostly-vegetarian menu this week–lunches and dinners–and stick to it. It usually works when I plan, but I was lazy/trying to be economical and didn’t buy any more food so that I could use up what was in the fridge/pantry. That backfired (see: Sunday dinner disaster). So, I need to hit the grocery store for a few things and make a plan. Right now, it looks like farro-stuffed acorn squash for dinner tonight, a coconut-spinach cream soup on Tuesday, and some bright and tropical cous cous–with a grapefruit vinaigrette and avocado–topped with seared scallops on Wednesday. Beyond that is beyond me.
- Work out twice in the gym this week, and take the stairs up with the dogs at least three times this week. Two forty-minute blocks of cardio, plus twenty-one flights of stairs…overall, not enough exercise, but I’m also forcing myself to walk to and from the bus/metro this week, barring actual rain, so. It’s a start, especially after last week’s back issues.
- Listen to podcasts on my commute. Again. I was doing this for a bit, and it was so nice, but I forgot to keep with it. It definitely encourages me to walk home from the bus!
- Find a raincoat for Steve. Need to locate a classic, stylish, non-belted, knee-length slim macintosh for him, replacing a massive oversized dated trench that will get donated. Budget: under $100.
Ok, I think I can round out January now. Hopefully, my ThredUp and Twice bags come this week, and I can make a dent in my closet progress. Then, the fun can begin: organizing what’s left, taking stock, and seeing what kind of space we gain back (that we will not fill!).